- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Pay to Play
- Content Research Area
- Quality of Life Issues
- OPRA (Open Public Records Act)
- Bribes, Payoffs, and Politics
- Letters to the Editor
- Voter Information
- OPMA (Open Public Meetings Act)
- FREE SPEECH and INTERNET ISSUES
- Eminent Domain
- Governor Corzine
- Lawsuits and Legal Actions
- Hoboken News
- Health Issues
- Employment Opportunities
- Regionalize and Shared Services
- Investigations (Restricted Access)
- Public Official Report Card
- Political Commentary
- Payments In Lieu of Taxes
- Consumer Issues
- Affordable Housing
- 2006 N.J. U.S. Senate Race
- U.S. Senator Robert Menendez
- Homeland Security
- NJ NY Port Authority
- R.I.C.O. Act
- Editorials - New Jersey Newspapers
- POG - People for OPen Government
- Investigative Agencies
- Hoboken City Council Video
- Presidential Election 2008
- Investigative Report
- Area Event Calendar
- Presedential electiom 2008
- New Jersey League of Municipalities
- NJ State Court System
- National Politics
- Social Interaction
- Shrink for Men
- Governor Chris Christie
- Tenant Rights
- NJ League of Municipalities
- NYC GROUND ZERO
- Political Figures
- Health Care
- Hoboken Lawsuits
- Featured News
- IRS TAX RELIEF
- Federal Budget
- Healthcare Fraud
- New Jersey For Profit Hospitals
- Hudson County Emergency Medical Services
2006 Senate Race: N.J. Senate Race: Anatomy Of A Smear Campaign
- Categorized in: 2006 N.J. U.S. Senate Race
N.J. Senate Race: Anatomy Of A Smear Campaign
(CBS) NEW YORK Everyone knows politics is a dirty affair. But it's rare for the public to see exactly how one candidate tries to gain advantage over another. CBS 2 takes you behind the scenes to see "The Anatomy Of A Smear." This one is about the war in Iraq and the New Jersey Senate campaign.
It began with a campaign dirty trick.
Step 1: The Setup
Republican state senate candidate Tom Kean Jr. was forced to run a gauntlet of Bob Menendez supporters when he arrived at CBS 2 Saturday to tape a campaign debate.
Step 2: The Attack
Menendez attacked Kean's position on Iraq during the debate.
"You won't even answer. You won't even answer the military families in New Jersey who have asked you a critical question, 'What would you do if this continues to be a civil war?'" Menendez told Kean during the debate.
Step 3: The Set Up
Staffers sneaked Joann Suhl, the mother of a soldier serving in Iraq, into a post-debate press conference to confront Kean.
"Three of the families met with you, as you recall," Suhl told Kean.
Step 4: The Tracker
Menendez staffer Patrick McKenna videotaped the confrontation as a Kean staffer moves between Suhl and Kean.
Suhl said, "My named is Joann Suhl, and my son is in Iraq, and Thomas Kean Jr…"
"Has already met with you," McKenna interrupted.
"…and refused to answer our questions," Suhl continued.
"He did not," the staffer responded.
Step 5: The Sting
A press release, headlined "Caught On Tape: Kean Jr. Running From Military Mother, Ducking Questions About War In Iraq."
Step 6: Double Gotcha
The video shot by the Menendez staffer is put on YouTube and released to the public.
Step 7: The Payoff
The group Military Families of New Jersey holds a press conference the following day to bash Kean and praise Menendez.
"The most ethical statement I've heard in this campaign has come from Robert Menendez, and that is he would not be willing to send other peoples' kids to a war he would not send his own," said John Fenton of Gold Star Families.
A spokeswoman for Kean attacked team Menendez, calling the senator "a political thug who employs Hudson County boss-style tactics in an election."
A spokesman for Menendez defended the move, saying New Jersey voters have a right to know where Kean stands on the war in Iraq
CBS 2 NYC
"Anatomy of a Smear"
The Smear appears on YouTube
New comments are currently disabled.
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this article to a friend:
- HAS PREDATORY HEALTH CARE LENDING COME TO HOBOKEN?
- The Emotionally Abusive Personality: Is She a Borderline or a Narcissist?
- Withholding Sex as a Form of Punishment
- Don't Marry Essay. Why Marriage Has Become a Raw Deal for Men
- NJ Business Facts
- What the Parking/Transportation industry is saying about Hoboken's Automated Garage
- You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig
- Hoboken Board of Education
Recent Employment Opportunities
- Technology Consultant - City of Hoboken
- Finance Director City of Hoboken
- ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR
- Civil Service Commission Seeks Entry-Level Firefighter Applicants Applications for the entry-level Firefighter Test will be accepted for 70 municipalities and other local jurisdictions
- Senior Accountant: Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- City of Hoboken - Fire Department Audit
- Hoboken: ZONING OFFICER